An individual who wishes to serve as a paraprofessional in an Illinois public school must hold one of the following:
- A valid Illinois Professional Educator License
- A valid Substitute License
- A valid Educator License with Stipulations – Paraprofessional Endorsement
To qualify for the Educator License with Stipulations – Paraprofessional Educator Endorsement, you must have ONE of the following qualifications:
- Official (unopened) transcript showing proof of an associate degree or higher from an accredited institution AND proof of high school diploma or GED transcript.
- Official (unopened) transcript showing proof of a minimum of 60 hours of college coursework AND proof of high school diploma or GED transcript.
- Proof of passing the ACT Work Keys Assessment AND proof of high school diploma or GED transcript.
The required paperwork from one of the options listed above must be sent to the Regional Office of Education #21:
Regional Office of Education #21
901 Public Square
Benton, IL 62812
Renewing a Paraprofessional License
To view screenshots of the steps to renew your Paraprofessional License in your ELIS account, please view this document.
If you are a applying for a Paraprofessional Endorsement, please follow the steps below to create your ELIS account and apply.
- Visit www.isbe.net to create an account in the Educator Licensure Information System (ELIS).
- On the ISBE homepage select “ELIS Educator Credentials”, located near the top middle section of the page.
- On the Educator Credential page, select Educator Access. On the left side of the Educator Access page, select “Sign Up Now”.
- You will be prompted to enter all of your information in the places provided.
(Please make certain all of information that you enter is accurate and up to date)
- After entering your information and selecting continue at the bottom of the page, you will be directed to an information overview page. PRINT THIS PAGE FOR YOUR RECORDS.
- Next, you will be directed to a Congratulations page for successfully creating your ELIS Account. After selecting continue, you will be directed to your home profile page. You will also receive an email confirmation.
- Your home profile page will give you options. You will select option #5, “Apply for a Paraprofessional Endorsement”. Once this is selected, the system will take you through a wizard to apply. Once you apply, you will be re-directed to a secure website to enter your application fee. The fee to apply for the license is $100.00.
- Once you have submitted your payment, you will be returned to your ELIS homepage. Your Paraprofessional Endorsement will be listed as PENDING REVIEW. You will need to log back into your ELIS account to check the status of your License. This process could take up to a few weeks. The status will change from PENDING REVIEW to ISSUED. Once ISBE receives and processes your paperwork, this status will be change to ISSUED. You will not receive anything in the mail.
- Once the status displays ISSUED, you MUST register your license. When logged into your ELIS account, you will see a link for registration in the Action Center. Once this has been selected, the system will take you through a wizard to register. ROE #21 is located in Franklin-Johnson-Massac-Williamson Counties.
If you need additional assistance, please view the video below.