- Valid for PreK-12
- Application fee is $25 (can be refunded within 18 months after teaching 10 days within one year of the license being issued.)
- No registration fee
- Associate degree or 60 semester hours from a regionally-accredited college or university required
- Can teach no more than 5 consecutive days per licensed teacher under contract
- Must complete the training for short-term subs before teaching on the license:
- Classroom management
- School safety
- District/Building operations
*Statute states that school boards must develop this substitute teacher training program. *ISBE may develop a model program for use.
All licenses shall have an expiration date of June 30, 2023. Thus, depending on issue date, some licenses will have a cycle that is shorter than 5 years. No licenses will be issued after this date.
Individuals applying for the Short-Term Substitute License should do the following:
- Create an ELIS account on the ISBE website. (See Create an ELIS account)
- Bring or mail official transcripts to one of our ROE offices (Office addresses are available at the bottom of this page). Official Transcripts must be in a sealed envelope and should state an Associate’s degree or higher from a regionally accredited institution of higher education OR indicate completion of 60 semester hours of coursework.
- Call one of our ROE offices to notify us that the transcripts are being sent (Office phone numbers are available at the bottom of this page).
- Once transcripts have been uploaded into ELIS, the individual may apply for the Short-Term Substitute License. The fee is $25.00.
**Short-Term Substitutes must also have a background check, health exam and TB test in order to substitute teach**