Individuals applying for the Short-Term Substitute License should do the following:
- Create an ELIS account on the ISBE website. (See Create an ELIS account)
- Bring or mail official transcripts to one of our ROE offices (Office addresses are available at the bottom of this page). Official Transcripts must be in a sealed envelope and should state an Associate’s degree or higher from a regionally accredited institution of higher education OR indicate completion of 60 semester hours of coursework.
- Call one of our ROE offices to notify us that the transcripts are being sent (Office phone numbers are available at the bottom of this page).
- Once transcripts have been uploaded into ELIS, application must be made in ELIS for issuance of the Short-Term Substitute License.
- Individuals holding the STS license must attend and maintain evidence of completing the Short-Term Substitute Training prior to substitute teaching.
- The Short-Term Substitute License is valid for PreK-12.
- Application fee is $25.
- Application fee may be refunded within 18 months after teaching 10 days within one year of the license being issued.
- There is no registration fee for this license.
- Associate degree or 60 semester hours from a regionally-accredited college or university required.
- Can teach no more than 5 consecutive days per licensed teacher under contract.
- All licenses shall have an expiration date of June 30, 2023. Thus, depending on issue date, some licenses will have a cycle that is shorter than 5 years. No licenses will be issued after this date.
- In order to be placed on the ROE #21 Substitute Listing, Short-Term Substitutes must also have a background check, health exam, and TB test in order to substitute teach.